Why measure metals in ambient air?
Although particulate matter (PM) is listed as a criteria pollutant by the US EPA, PM measurements alone do not tell the whole story. Multiple studies show that PM-toxicity can vary drastically due to the presence of toxic metals and provide direct links between airborne particulate metals and adverse health effects. Cooper Environmental’s Xact® 625i Ambient Metals Monitor provides the necessary PM speciation to accurately assess the presence of toxic metals for protection of human health and the environment.
Cooper Environmental’s Xact® 625i is designed for high time resolution multi-metals monitoring of ambient air, with detection limits that rival those of laboratory analysis. The Xact® 625i comes standard with a solid-state meteorological sensor and Cooper Environmental’s proprietary ADAPT analysis package, making the instrument one of the most powerful air pollution source detection offerings in the industry.
The system uses reel-to-reel filter tape sampling and nondestructive energy dispersive X-ray fluorescence (EDXRF) analysis. The air is sampled through a low volume (16.7 l/min) particulate matter (PM) size-selective inlet and drawn through a filter tape. The resulting PM deposit is then advanced into the analysis area where the sample is analyzed by EDXRF for selected metals while the next sample is collected.
- ADAPT data analysis software that enables immediate research quality graphical reports to deliver unique insight on the temporal and variability trends of the metals measured
- Sampling and analysis methodology that has been validated by the US EPA ETV program
- Windows-based operating system with 10.1 inch touchscreen that may be ordered flat (shown) or tilted for lower placed instruments
- Sampling, analysis, and near real-time reporting (every 15, 30, 60, 120, 180, or 240 minutes in ng/m³)
- Automatic quality assurance, alarms, & control features
- Incorporates an internal XRF quality assurance standard with every sample analyzed
- Provides automatic, daily XRF calibration drift checks
- Remote polling and remote system control
- Global power design does not require power conversion or conditioning
- Average detection limits improved by over 30% compared to previous generation Xact® 625
- Adaptable to both stationary and mobile monitoring platforms
- Effective for fugitive emissions measurement
- Can be used to establish baseline levels for health-based standards
- Capable of identifying hazardous “hot spots” around the perimeter of a facility
- Enables effective source apportionment and chemical mass balance comparisons
- Highly sensitive and reliable (low pg/m3 to μg/m3 range)
- Nondestructive analysis allows for sample archiving
- Aids source identification by correlating metals concentrations to wind speed and direction
- Demonstrates metal concentration variability not observable with standard 24-hour methods
- Can be used to identify plant activities associated with high metals concentrations
The Xact® 625i monitoring system can simultaneously identify and measure multiple metals in ambient air to provide data for use in the following applications:
- Fence-line monitoring of metals processing facilities, incinerators, metal smelters, battery manufacturing facilities, cement plants, glass factories, and more
- Source detection of lead, arsenic, nickel, and cadmium as well as other metals
- Source Apportionment
- Determination of background concentrations
- Spatial recognition of pollution sources
- Temporal recognition of pollution sources
- Resolve acute, short duration events
- Risk and emergency management
- Xact® 625i Data Sheet
- Xact® 625 Chinese Data Sheet
- Xact® 625 ETV Full Report
- OTM 31: Developing Multi-Metals Fence Line Monitoring for Fugitive Emissions Using X-Ray Based Monitors
The Xact® 625i continuously generates large amounts of high quality metals data. Offline analysis of such datasets can be time and resource intensive process for the environmental agencies. Cooper Environmental is offering a hardware-software package, Automated Data Analysis Plotting Toolset (ADAPT), to manage and analyze Xact® 625i measured metals in real-time through a number of relevant graphical tools.
The ADAPT package includes the hardware for on-site meteorological measurement and an intuitive software which is accessed through Xact® 625i itself, or remotely by accessing the on-board computer. The software platform generates multiple research-quality graphical reports to deliver unique insight on the temporal and variability trends of the metals. This intuitive toolset will allow the Xact® users to make data-driven decisions towards efficiently managing metal emissions.
ADAPT produces a variety of graphics to examine Xact-measured metals dataset collected over time and displays them through an intuitive user interface on the instrument. These plots allow the user to examine the metals contribution to each sample in addition to the concentration trends over time. The graphics are designed to track the high metals concentration events and capture the variability resulting from source emission patterns. Examination of metals in conjunction with on-site meteorological measurements enables ADAPT to provide improved directionality estimation of metal sources impacting the monitoring site. These report process the large quantity of metals datasets and save user’s time and resources towards reaching their air quality objectives.
- Intuitive user interface displayed on Xact® 625i
- Hourly metals composition efficiently displayed
- Temporal data analysis to reveal peak concentration events
- Daily and time-of-day distributions to capture variability
- Correlation examination for identify co-varying metals emissions
- Automated integration of on-site meteorology for gauging source directionality
- Download reports in PDF format
- Graphical reports accessible in near real-time
- Results displayed with numerous journal-quality graphics
- Cost effective resource for monitoring the efficacy of the control strategies
- Drastically reduces data processing time
- Designed by air quality researchers with over 50 years combined experience
- Beneficial for air quality managers and environmental agencies